Friday, February 5, 2010

Grilled Salmon with Mustard Sauce and Asparagus

Grilling is cooking of meat using a grill suspended above a heat source. It is often performed outdoors with a grill (an open wire grid with a heat source above or below), a grill pan (similar to a frying pan) or a griddle (a flat plate heated from below). [1]

Grilling is fun. It’s one of my bonding moments with my brother back home. He used to prepare the grill, and I used to do the cooking/grilling. Or mostly, he used to continue with the cooking/grilling because he didn’t want me to get burnt. Over here, it’s easy since I use the grilling pan. You just need to put it on top of the stove and you’re ready to go. Though it’s easy, I still like the old way… it’s more fun.

For my dish today, I use salmon. I first came across this recipe while I was watching a cooking show during a weekend at home. It looked easy to prepare, and yummy as well, so I thought, why not give it a shot.

I have tried this once before for someone. I was a bit nervous and excited at the same time. Nervous because it’s a new dish and I had no idea of the outcome and excited because I wanted to try it. His first impression? “Hmm... yummy” but while we were eating, the fish bones disturbed him. Since it was a piece of salmon steak, it had some fish bones. Well, it was not as much as whitefish (‘bangus’ in Tagalog) has. So, I suggest, if you are like him, try salmon fillet. But all in all, the dish tastes really good and I like it more I guess.

To start, you need to have the grilling basics. l.


Grilling Basics:
Grill or grilling pan
Long-handled utensils such as tongs
Brushes

Ingredients:

4 pcs salmon steak
2 1/2 asparagus
1 tbsp. cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce:

1/2 cup sugar
½ cup mustard
2 tbsp. Vinegar

Do the asparagus:

1. Prepare the asparagus by cutting the hard part at the end.
2. In a bowl, put the asparagus, add oil, salt and pepper to taste and mix.
3. Place the asparagus in a grilling pan and cook for 8 minutes.

Do the salmon:

1. Prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients.
2. On one side, put salt and pepper to taste, spread some sauce using the brush and put on the grill pan. Cook for 4 minutes.
3. While on the grilling pan, put salt, pepper and sauce on the other side. Cook for 4 minutes.




Source:
[1] Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling


No comments:

Post a Comment