Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stir-fry Bean Sprouts

Stir-fry is one of the easiest and fastest ways of cooking. It is fast because you can spend as minimum as 5 minutes for the preparation and cooking. Isn’t it amazing?! It’s an Asian method of cooking meat and vegetable quickly to retain the texture and flavor. Frying over a high heat while stirring is the key.

When I was in college, I and my friends, we had a favorite Japanese restaurant frequented by us for lunch. My favorite menu was their Chicken Teriyaki with the side dish of stir-fry beans sprout. It’s really yummy… the teriyaki sauce was amazing and beans sprout was so delicious and crunchy. Actually, that restaurant is so memorable… funny, crazy things happened those days. Every time I remember it, I can’t help but smile, even on my own. I am wondering if the restaurant is still open. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant. Yeah… I forgot! So bad of me! :)

Bringing back the old days and also out of curiosity, I tried my very own stir-fry beans sprout. And it was a huge success!

I am planning to do the Chicken Teriyaki again to match my stir-fry beans sprout. Yeah, again… I tried it before but unfortunately didn’t turn out right. I am hoping that next time it will. Giving up is not an option! l.


Ingredients:
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/8 cup onion, sliced
1/4 cup green bell pepper, sliced
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, sliced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, sliced
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste


Preparation:
1. Wash and drain mung bean sprouts, trim the ends if desired.
2. Add oil to heated pan (wok or heavy skillet).
3. When oil is ready, add the onion, stir-fry briefly.
4. Add all the bell pepper and mung beans sprouts and stir-fry briefly. 1 minute or so.
5. Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.


Notes:
1. Wash and drain mung bean sprouts ahead of time to make it drain thorougly.
2. You can use kitchen towel or paper towel to drain and dry mung bean sprouts.
3. Do not overcook; sprouts should remain crunchy but lose their raw bean taste.

6 comments:

  1. hmmm henge ako lerrie :) i'll try this at home... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jatayna's restaurant tolz... hehehe. you shouldn't be forgetting that resto! hehehe... ngaun, isa na lang ang surviving sa kanila, diba parang dalawa un dati. ngaun 1 na lang sa may tapat, ung second floor. anywayz, still our fave chicken teriyaki. i remember we ate dun during your last days before departure. sarap talaga ng stir fry! nice once tolz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah.. I wish I could, but good thing I can't. :) joke! Anyway, it's really good and tasty specially when newly served.

    Thanks Ayan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correct Tolz! ..so mouth-watery. Yeah, I remembered that day, we also had our favorite shakes.. strawberry/mango?? :) Wish I could ate there again, one day soon. I'll call you and you should come.. no excuses! with Mel and Yeh of course! ok?? :)

    Thank you much.. much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi do I need to add a recipe for stir fry sauce here? I hope that I can make it on my own. Thanks for sharing it here and I hope that I can cook it better than your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Your sauce recipe looks good. I should try it one day. Thank you for sharing! :)

      Delete